Thursday, July 20, 2006

An Unusual Sadness




Today I was riding the highways of movie trailers and found a sad thing. I guess this is selfish and he would not appreciate but one of my favorite actors is basically retiring from martial art masterpieces. Jet Li. I have grown to love Jet Li and his acting career. To me he is the best martail artist since Bruce Lee. Not one to love Martail Art films profusly, but I do enjoy them. I can not sit and watch hours of martal art films. But Jet Li? I love the marathons on Spike TV. I first discovered Jet Li in Black Mask. It was not a huge hit in the theaters but I was given the opportunity to see it on the big screen back in 1999. Since that time period, I have tried to watch as many Li films as I can find. I do not have the money to invest in many of them so there are a few I have not seen. I even have a hard time picking a favorite. I think that my top two are Twin Warriors (1993) and The Legend (1993). There is also the epic trilogy Once Upon a TIme in China.
Li's newest creation "Fearless" looks no doubt like the best "Americanized" to date. You can catch a preview here.

2 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

I love Hero, one of my favorite martial arts movies. I found it odd that he is retiring. Who knows, he's very young so a script may come along in the future that is so good that he won't be able to pass it up.

Jamie said...

I did run into something a little later about a movie that is slated for 2007. I am not sure he is playing a lead role or not though.